Shipyards: Duca d'Aosta. O.T.O. - Livorno, Eugenio
di Savoia: Ansaldo - Genova.
Dates of service: Duca d'Aosta: construction started
1932, launched 1934, first commissioned 1935, uncommissioned 1949; Eugenio
di Savoia: construction started 1933, launched 1935, first commissioned
1936, uncommissioned 1951.
Dimensions: Length 186.9 m Width 17.5 m Draught 6.1 m
Displacement: Eugenio di Savoia: Standard 8750 ton. - Normal
load 10357 ton. - Full load 10843 ton.; Duca d'Aosta: Standard 8450
ton. - Normal load 10057 ton. - Full load 10540 ton.
Speed max: 36.5 knots
Autonomy: 3900 miles at 14 knots - 2650 miles at 23 knots - 890
miles at 36 knots
Armament: 8-152/53, 6-100/47, 8-37/54, 12-13.2, 2 depth charges
launchers, 2 aircrafts (usually 1)
Armor .: horizontal 35 mm., vertical 70 mm., main
turrets 90 mm., command turret 100 mm.
Crew: 42 Officers - 536 Petty officers and Commons
"Duca d'Aosta", click on the
picture to enlarge it.
Project: derived from general Vian's project for
the Condottieri class.
Historical news on cruiser Eugenio di Savoia
Launched the 16 March 1935 in the Ansaldo shipyards of Genoa, it was
delivered to the Navy the 16 January 1936 and became the flagship of
the constituted neo 7th Division that comprised Aosta, Montecuccoli
and Attendolo. In the Spanish civil war it participated to the strafing
of the city of Barcelona. During all the second World war the Eugenio
di Savoia had a particularly active life, participating to the main
battles of the Mediterranean and also to multiple actions of every type:
transport troops, supply convoys, lay down mines etc. The 09 September
1943, after the sinking of the Rome battleship, as flagship was the
first to enter in contact with the Allies at Malta and subsequently
it was interned to Alessandria. The 13 October 1943 with the declaration
of war of the Italian Government of the South to the Germany, began
the period of alliance with the Allies and Eugenio di Savoia and other
interned ships re-entered in the national ports. The Eugenio participated
with English and French units to cruises in Atlantic ocean in order
to intercept German ships. In January of 1944 near Punta Stilo it hit
a mine and it remained damaged but it made its way to Taranto port and
here remained until the end of the conflict. With the peace treaty the
Eugenio was assigned as compensation of the damages of war to Greece,
not before being repaired. It was delivered to Greek navy the 01 July
1951 assuming the name of "Hellis"; uncommissioned in 1964, was demolished
Top of the page